Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Colorado Fort Collins Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Radiation Poisoning

January 18, 2016

Another week with moving and chopping wood. Brother Chambers really helps fill our afternoons. This time, though, it was cottonwood instead of pine, which is way, way denser. It was a good workout though. We also helped move about 80 buckets that weighed 50 pounds each from one room to another. I won't say where, but they had a huge secret room that was full of food storage and growing systems. It was really cool. Apparently secret storage rooms are the thing to do in rich families?

I also can't believe I'm saying this, but I found a new saddest city I've ever been to. Jeffrey City. It was a uranium mining town, peaked with about 4000 people in the 70s, and then the market for it crashed. Now there are about 100 people that still somehow live there. The town is just littered with abandoned apartment buildings, trailers, closed buildings, and "no trespassing" signs. We actually went in one of them because we didn't see the no trespassing sign, and it was pretty sketchy. I wanted to go in the basement, but I figured there was a chance there was something creepy down there. Every door I opened I was just waiting for a body to fall out. But yeah, it was a really sad town, and I only saw 3 people the whole time we were there. 

One person we would visit pretty frequently passed away this week, Gary. It makes me wonder, too, because we hadn't visited him in about a week, and that was when he died. No one really saw it coming. He was old, but he wasn't that old, and he wasn't in too bad of condition. 

For transfers, I'll be staying here in Lander, and my new companion will be Elder Gould.  We have a lot of appointments set with members going along with us in the next 2 weeks, so I'm hoping we'll stay pretty busy.

Panorama of the canyon

 On top of a ridge in the canyon

  6th Crossing of the Sweetwater river

 THE most ghetto, intact trailer I've seen

 Apartments

 This guy is ready for the apocalypse

 Government funding has been low for the Jeffrey City Branch Library

 Teco Gas Station

  One of the many abandoned apartment buildings. We went in that enticing door. 
  Have a look?

Cool, man

No comments:

Post a Comment