Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Colorado Fort Collins Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Monday, October 27, 2014

The Emmy Award

October 27, 2014

A real Emmy award! The guy we had dinner with won it for a documentary he did the research for and directed.


I never really know how to start these things, so I'll just start listing off how this week went.

This week was a lot better than last week; kind of getting into the groove of things, the Spanish is becoming more understandable, and I can at least communicate about the gospel now in Spanish. I might have already mentioned this in a previous email, but apparently my mission is the mission with a lot of people with emotional or health concerns, like anger issues, depression, etc., which makes me wonder, "what is my problem?"

We had a stake conference this last week, where we heard from Richard G. Scott, David A. Bednar, Cheryl Esplin, and Craig C. Christensen. It was awesome. I heard a longer variation of the same talk by Scott for the 3rd or 4th time (pretty close to the one he gave in conference, I think), so I guess I really need to work on my prayers and receiving answers.

I learned to never get an older Spanish lady talking unless you absolutely have to or else she'll go on for about 45 minutes out of the 50 that we had for a lesson, but it helps me understand more Spanish, so that's good.

I love service! I have never been able to say that before, but it's so true. Not only does it take hours out of the day that could be spent tracting (it's not actually that bad), but it also is a nice break to get some exercise (which I need...I might be getting fat...154.4 lbs...) and to help people with things they can't help themselves with. Our main service activities are going to an old folks home and singing hymns for an hour and doing various charity work at the food bank and a similar place, the House of Neighborly Service. 

I had my first experience tracting, and it was actually fun (though it was the first time)! We went right during the CSU game, so a lot of people weren't interested at all. One house said, "We're smoking dope and watching football, go away", another opened the door, saw us, and said not interested before we could say a word, and only a few would listen to us say more than "hey we're missionar---". In the end though, we had a good night, because we found a potential of 4 investigators! 1 we saw on his bike, and he told us to come back, and the other 3 were at the last house we visited. They were 18-22 year-olds that were drinking beer while we were trying to talk about the gospel, but I think they were still sober when we were discussing life after death, resurrection, the premortal life, etc. It was actually a really awesome lesson, just finding out what they believed and sharing our beliefs. They seemed to see the truth in what we were saying. Then they brought out the hooka full of tobacco, and it was like a scene out of Lord of the Rings with the shapes they were making with the smoke. Really hard to teach like that, but we'll go back another time when it's not so hazy.

All in all, it was a pretty good week, and I'm starting to like the Colorado weather and people. It was in the 80s this week, though today it got cold. I have a feeling the Word of Wisdom is going to be a more difficult and more frequently taught lesson, but with the Holy Ghost present, they'll feel the truth.

Pics:
The nutrition information for part of the pie I ate...

Just one of the beautiful lakes around here

The masonic temple near one of our investigator's houses


Gorgeous sunset

The most glorious sight ever
(I wonder if he chose Buffalo Wild Wings or Chick-fil-A.  Kennon loves both of them!)

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment