Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Colorado Fort Collins Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Monday, February 29, 2016

My Companion and I Scream from Ice Cream

February 22, 2016

This week was rather adventurous, from hiking up the side of a
mountain to check out a cave, going to Martin's Cove today, and eating
7 1/2 pounds of ice cream, it was a week of challenges. Not the normal
kind, but challenges nonetheless. So, I saw this hole in the wall on
one of the sides of the canyon, and I wanted to know if that was the
cave that we had tried to go spelunking in. So I began to run up the
side of the mountain in full missionary attire, shoes and all. It took
me 12 minutes to get up and about that much to get down, and I have
been sore all week. I'm out of shape. On the bright side, I get to
start 6 months to sexy tomorrow! My companion, fortunately for him,
has longer than that to go, so this week he took the local challenge
aptly named the Bellyache. It is 10 scoops of ice cream, 10 toppings,
whipped cream, and 10 cherries. That's about 7 1/2 pounds of ice
cream. He didn't feel so well afterwards. 



We also gave talks in church, and I got a lot of comments about how I called the ward to
repentance. I guess I did, but it wasn't as bad as people said...

The miracle for this week is that we didn't get sick. We had a lesson
with a family of 9, and a lot of the kids were sick, so they asked if
we could give them blessings. One of the kids has mental disabilities,
and he was running around during the blessings sticking his tongue out
and blowing it and spitting. I know I felt at least a little spit hit
my lip, so the fact that we didn't get sick is a miracle.

We tried to visit the new Hispanic family in the ward, the Chavez
family, but they weren't home when we went by. We went by again later
in the week and it was the same story. Patricia, the Hispanic lady
that is getting married to a member's brother, was very open to us
coming by, mainly just so she could have someone to talk with in
Spanish. We chopped a ton of wood (4 1/2 hours of it) this week, and
we delivered them a truckload. I think we did around 14 hours of
service this week. We also were able to have nice steaks with the
Gibsons, a more well off family, and we helped the moving guy install
their new king size bed. They only sent one guy, so it was a good
thing that we were there.

Note to you married/engaged/dating members: don't kiss your
husband/wife/significant other in front of the missionaries. It made
me so mad when a member did that at lunch with us, and it was 5
separate times. I counted. I'm at the point where if I see a shoulder
I start to miss girls more, so yeah, don't flaunt that you can do
that. Just wait like an hour.

Along with going to Martin's Cove, I found out that the very first
treks were started in the Riverton Stake. That one you always hear
about where the kids only had flour and water to eat, yeah, that was
here back in '94 or so. A ton of kids got sick from it, so they
decided it might be good to discontinue that. 


 Martin's Cove.


He stole my idea.

Random question for other missionaries currently out: did sledding and using trampolines
get banned in your missions? That was announced at zone conference,
and they said it's a "worldwide addition to the white handbook", but I
honestly think that's a lie. I think the mission president made that
rule since some missionaries got caught leaving their zone on P day to
go to a trampoline park and that is his retaliation. I could be wrong,
but let me know.

When they rescued the Martin and Willie handcart companies, that was
called the first rescue. Some years ago, the stake president here
received a revelation that some of those people in those companies
hadn't had their temple work done. Over 4,000 ordinances were done for
those individuals, and that was called the second rescue. Right now,
we're all part of the 3rd rescue, saving those that are still on the
earth and don't know where to find the truth they're searching for. An
apostle said something like, "Anyone that understands the Atonement
knows the joy of being rescued". Let's all be saviors on Mount Zion
and rescue our brothers and sisters.



We found this in one of the logs we split.



 After loading the wood in the rain.



 Random cave



No comments:

Post a Comment