Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Colorado Fort Collins Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year's resolutions and "transfer doctrine"

January 5, 2015

Spiritual thought: New Year's Resolutions. Most of us make them, few of us keep them. I hope this helps. In 2 Nephi 2:14, we read that "there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon". I think the difference between those that keep their resolutions and those that don't (or those that don't make them) is the difference between people that act and people that are acted upon. If we are trying to lose weight and we go and act by going to the gym consistently, we'll lose weight. Now, sometimes we go to the gym for a month or so and think "I'm doing pretty well, I can work less now or miss a day or two". Then we get out of the habit and eventually stop. Alma 5:26 reads that "if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?" In other words, if you have made that resolution and have seen the changes in your life, can you still see the change and are you still working on it? If you consistently think about both of those, I'm quite sure you'll be able to make and keep your resolutions this year.

Zone leaders are usually zone leaders for a reason. When I went on exchanges with one since my companion is district leader, we tracted for probably 3 hours. And made 5 return appointments. And handed out 6 Books of Mormon. And one of those was all in Spanish that I did on my own. It was a pretty freaking awesome day, even though it included tracting in the cold. 

The other highlights for this week include eating at Chick-fil-A 4 days in a row, finding out one of our members occasionally drinks tequila but fortunately "she's not addicted, she just likes the taste", finding out that I will be getting transferred to Greeley East into the only Spanish ward in the mission with Elder De Leon, a native Guatemalan, and getting chastised via transfer prophecies. Transfer prophecies are when you predict where you are getting transferred by having someone flip through the standard works, you tell them to stop flipping through the pages and then you tell them to stop moving their finger over the verses, and then we have to interpret that verse for where we are getting transferred. My verse was Jacob 3:8: O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God. Soooo...yeah. 

While we were waiting for transfer doctrine (the voicemail the zone leaders send out telling where everyone in the zone is actually going), we decided to resort back to the Roku with the trunkiness at an all time high. I'll include a link to the YouTube video sometime, as well as me playing Airplanes and Love the Way You Lie part II. None of the ones I have so far are free from error, and it's driving me insane, but we'll see if I settle for it not being perfect.

A talk well worth reading or listening to is "Endure It Well" by Neal A Maxwell. And something worth checking out is the Relative Finder by BYU. You just sign into FamilySearch and it can tell you about well known people you're related to. If your ward makes a group, you can find out how related you are to people in your ward you are. I was related to about 15 from the Boyd Lake Ward where I was serving. 

I also met someone that I ran into 6 months ago. One time I went to Wendy's back in Provo and the cashier and I got to talking about my mission call, and he said if I ever serve in Fort Collins to "tell the Haggler's who have wolf dogs that MJ says hi". This week we had dinner with a family, and the wife's parents came. They had some pretty sick looking dogs, and lo and behold, they were the Hagglers, followed closely by MJ himself.

My mission address will be changing on January 14th, for all of the 1000s of letters that I get each week, so you'll need to send those from now on to this address:
500 Hillspire Dr
Windsor, CO 80550



The pictures with Nerf Guns we got as a gift for Christmas from the Biggs








I got made into a meme of sorts on the exchange with the zone leader when we helped someone do service for his scout hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment