Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Colorado Fort Collins Mission
Colorado Fort Collins Mission

Monday, March 14, 2016

A Disappointing Start

March 7, 2016

It was quite a discouraging week, especially given the high expectations that I had for this week. We had around 20 lessons scheduled to take place (after much driving around and walking trying to contact old investigators), and all but 7 of them fell through. 6 lessons fell through in one day. Our key indicators were terrible, but this is one of the weeks I've worked the hardest on my mission. Oh well. So, we filled our spare time with tracting, contacting potential investigators, visiting old investigators, and seeing if anyone was interested in our message. I think around 80% of the old investigators houses we went to had a new person living there, so the records weren't much good, but we were able to talk to the current resident and see how they felt about taking missionary lessons. One of the problems with everyone being nice (which is a blessing, because I would rather that everyone be nice instead of mean) is that most people don't really say "no, we aren't interested". Instead, they just tell you to come back at a time they know they'll be gone, so we waste our time driving there and then have to try and find people in the area to visit, which is harder to do when we don't have wifi and a map of where everyone lives. Fortunately, we don't need wifi to tract.
This week, I definitely took advantage of Chick-fil-A and Cafe Rio. I was seriously debating doing some dumpster diving to get more CFA receipts with the surveys for a free chicken sandwich so that I could eat out there a lot more, but I figured that wouldn't be very becoming of a representative of Christ.... I wouldn't consider myself above doing that, though, when I'm home. I might become a janitor in the ougareat just so I can go through and get those receipts. $3.25 saved for 5 minutes of my time: worth it.
Other highlights of this week include helping 2 kids named Sparrow and Phoenix put the chain back on their bike and then having them get scolded for what I'm assuming was talking to strangers, going to church from 9-2:30, and hearing a testimony that Christ is the "world's most eligible bachelor". We cover 5 wards, so I tried to visit them all and get to know some people. We only made it to 4, but it made for a very long fast Sunday. We only have 1 family currently of progressing investigators, the Flores family, and they cancelled our lessons with them twice. We'll just drop by some time when we know they're home and hope they don't tell us they're about to leave. The other interesting thing about this area is that there used to be a Spanish branch, but it was dissolved about a year or two ago. There was so much backbiting, gossiping, and drama that the stake president felt inspired to dissolve the branch and have everyone attend in the English ward whose boundaries they lived in. That has made our work a little difficult, but if it makes everyone be a little more peaceful towards each other....


Pictures from our last two districts

Pictures from our last two districts


View of the mountains from the highway in Longmont.


 A sole flower (tulip?) poking through the grass. I don't know, I thought it was cool.



Two of my homies from the mission on transfer day, Elder Riley and Elder Baum.

No comments:

Post a Comment